AWA NEWSFLASH: 10-20-2020
– HHE Recognized by the Royal Academy of Arts
– Watch Abhay & Justin’s LEDucation 2020 Talk: The World of Illusion vs. Allusion HERE
– The Next Show of AWA AGORA is a discussion on “Geoengineering” with Martha Schwartz. It is scheduled for Thursday, October 22, 2020, at 12:30 PM EST
– Register for the Show via Zoom HERE
– Visit AWA’s Website HERE
– Visit “Contextualizing Light” Website HERE
HHE Recognized by the Royal Academy of Arts
Dear Friends and Colleagues
We are delighted to share with you that the HHE (Hindu Heritage Experience) project that we have been working on with love and care over the last year has been selected for this year’s Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London. This year’s exhibition was judged and curated by the internationally renowned architect, David Adjaye. The compelling architecture of this project has been an inspiration, and we are thankful for this opportunity.
Client: JKP Foundation
Lead Architect: Arup UK
Local Architect: RSP Bangalore
Lighting Designer: AWA Lighting Designers
Please stay tuned for more updates on our projects in the coming weeks.
With my warm regards
Design Principal l CEO
Watch Abhay & Justin’s LEDucation 2020 Talk:
The World of Illusion vs. Allusion
We are excited to share the recording of our Design Principal, Abhay M Wadhwa, and Justin Moench speaking about “The World of Illusion vs. Allusion” at the LEDucation Trade Show and Conference 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 virus, LEDucation 2020 was virtual, and included 200 leading manufacturers of architectural lighting, controls and related technologies. Visitors also earned credits as industry experts in 22 accredited educational webinars. Topics discussed were lighting design trends, control methods, human-centric lighting topics, codes, compliances, technology trends, and so much more!
About the Talk
“The World of Illusion vs. Allusion”
While exploring and analyzing design solutions, there is often an important distinction that needs to be made pre-facto. Shall we pursue options that allude to the architecture, or willfully create illusions that are superimposed on a willing architecture? Through this analysis arise two distinct visual worlds— a world of illusion or a world of allusion. The appropriate choice of direction for the project is then a mirror to the cultural and historical context, through the prism of illusion or allusion. We will present two projects, Soularium (as illusion) and Ismail Building (as allusion), highlighting and relating to real-life designing.
Next AWA AGORA Show – October 22 2020
On October 22nd, we will talk with Martha Schwartz about the following Topics:
- MAYDAY.EARTH (Martha’s New NGO)
- Geoengineering: Why Should You Care?
- Martha’s Reading List (HERE)
- Call To Action:
- Hold hands (working through this crisis, and making change, cannot be done alone- find friends or like-minded people to talk to.)
- Integrate- once you’ve learned more, start to think about how you can integrate this new information into your own skill-sets.
- Think beyond your ‘silo’
- Designers are great communicators (scientists are not- we need their knowledge, and they (and everyone) needs our help to communicate out what they are trying to say) (read ‘Losing Earth’ by Nathaniel Rich (PDF on-line)
- We can imagine things (like the future) that don’t exist
- We can build confidence and trust through storytelling, illustration, and compassion
- Creatives can integrate disparate pieces and put them together(make sense out of chaos)
We do hope you will join us on Thursday, October 22nd at 1230pm EST. If you can’t make it, please stay tuned for the recording that will be available on our YouTube channel HERE.
About the Guest
Martha Schwartz is a landscape architect, urbanist, artist, and climate activist. Her work and teaching focuses on the urban public realm landscape and its importance in making cities “climate-ready”. For more than 40 years, she and the firm have completed projects around the globe, from site-specific art installations to public spaces, parks, and projects that focus on working with cities at strategic planning levels.
Ms. Schwartz is a tenured Professor in Practice of Landscape Architecture at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design and is a participant of the GSD Climate Change Working Group.
She is a founding member of the Working Group of Sustainable Cities at the Harvard University Center for the Environment, a founding member of the Landscape Architecture Foundation‘s “Working Group on Climate Change”, and has recently founded MAYDAY. Earth, a non-profit organization focused on educating non-scientists and generalists about geoengineering and global-scale solutions which can be integrated into practice, thus expanding the role of landscape architecture. Awarded the 2020 ASLA Design Medal, Ms. Schwartz is the recipient of numerous awards and prizes, including the Honorary Royal Designer for Industry Award from the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce for her outstanding contribution to UK design; the Cooper Hewitt National Design Award; the Women in Design Award for Excellence from the Boston Society of Architects; an Honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Ulster in Belfast, Ireland; a fellowship from the Urban Design Institute; visiting residencies at Radcliffe College and the American Academy in Rome; an Honorary Fellowship from the Royal Institute of British Architects; Council of Fellows Award by the American Society of Landscape Architects and most recently a Doctor Honoris Causa from the Boston Architectural College.